Pages

Friday 17 October 2014

Vegetarian meals in half an hour

Germany is definitely a meat eating country if ever there was one. Even today, you will be hard pressed to find a decent vegetarian meal in a traditional German restaurant. Around 10 years ago it was hard to find ANY vegetarian food here, but things have changed radically since then. So much so that people seem to feel bad when I tell them that we are vegetarian. The typical response I get is "we don't eat that much meat either, only twice or thrice a week. My husband is a heavy meat eater so we have to have some meat". Well I don't expect everyone else to be vegetarian and I certainly don't judge you differently if you eat meat. For our family the choice is personal and not dependent on health or religion. 

A full vegetarian meal: Not cooked in half an hour!


Another common response that I get is that it just takes so long to cook vegetarian food. And it is this statement that inspired me to write a series of posts with vegetarian meals you can cook in half an hour, that are protein rich and taste good. 

Peanut dip with toast and deep fried tofu


As you can imagine these are not going to be gourmet meals. They can't be. Any quick meal, even if it contains meat, cannot be gourmet if it's been cooked in half an hour. Meat has to be marinaded and you still have to cook some starch to accompany it. 

Hummus: A firm favourite!


Don't expect these meals to be vegan! We eat eggs over here and depend a lot on cream and cheese. In my view the best vegan food in the world is Sri Lankan food!

Lumpreis: No it's not supposed to be cooked in half an hour but it is vegan!


Happy vegetarian cooking and stay tuned to discover how easy it is to cook vegetarian food. I'll see you tomorrow with a vegetarian stir fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)