Pages

Sunday 6 January 2019

Vietnamese summer rolls - vegetarian

What I really wanted was spring rolls to serve with a dim sum dinner. But I figured that there would be too many fried things and summer rolls would be nice and healthy. In addition, I still had wrappers left over from a previous try.


I really like these rolls because they are crunchy and fresh. You could put so many different things in them. And the only time consuming thing about these rolls is that you have to cut up the fillings into nice thin sticks. My husband thought that the rolls were too big, so I cut them in half which really helps show off all the fillings inside.

Most people make these with shrimp because they like how they look with the shrimp. You can add shrimp to the filling (marinade with lime and salt, steam and slice lengthwise), but personally I think they look much better without the shrimp. In fact I find it quite spooky with the shrimp showing through. This might be because I am vegetarian!!

Here's my recipe:

Preparation time: max 2.5 hours (includes a lot of sitting time); makes 16-20 rolls 

Ingredients:

16 - 20Round rice paper wrappers, available in Asian stores (at least in Germany and the USA)
1 packTofu, firm
2 - 3Carrots
1/2Cucumber
1 headLettuce
2 ozBean thread noodles, Chinese vermicelli, rice vermicelli
10 sprigsCoriander
5 sprigsMint leaves
1 tbsp. Soya sauce

Oil for frying
Dipping sauce
1/4 cupPeanut butter
1/2 cupCoconut milk (3 tbsp. coconut milk powder + water)
2 tbsp. Sugar (omit or reduce if peanut butter already has sugar in it)
1 tbsp.Fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
2 tsp. Soya sauce
2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
1 tsp. Sesame oil

Method:

I don't particularly like fresh firm tofu so I fried some for these rolls. Tofu fries best if some of the water is pressed out. There are many ways to do this. I drained the water out of the pack. Placed the tofu on a chopping board which I made sure was tilted enough so any pressed out water would run off. Placed another chopping board on top. Filled a jug with water and placed it on top of all of this. Now you probably can figure a safer way of doing this. In my case eventually the water jug fell off because the tofu got compacted unevenly. Lucky for me the glass jug fell into my plastic strainer that was in the sink. The glass did not crack and all the water fell tidyly into the sink. Of course this was my plan all along ;) At least this is what I told my husband after we both rushed downstairs to the kitchen to see what the noise was. (We had had scares the night before because we heard thuds in the night. These turned out to be ornaments slipping off our Christmas tree because the tree had dried out!) Anyway, let the tofu drain for around half an hour.

Slice the tofu into strips. I cut the block into 3 slices parallel to the kitchen surface and then widthwise so that the sticks cross section was roughly square. The width of the tofu is the perfect length for the sticks. Heat a pan of fresh oil (else the sticks will not taste very good) over high heat and lower the sticks in a few at a time.
I'm sure others have noticed that when you deep fry tofu sticks they attract each other and stick together. For this reason I only fried 3 at a time trying hard to keep them from getting stuck. Each stick was fried for 1:20 to 1:30 minutes (I aimed for a light crust and a soft inside) and drained on kitchen paper. Set them aside to cool.


Next thing to do is to soak the noodles. There are many different types of noodles that you can use. I actually have no idea which ones I have in the kitchen right now (Eeek!). My guess is that they are bean thread noodles. You can use rice noodles as well. To make my life easier I buy the cheap noodles that are packed in a plastic bag and are all broken to pieces. I really hate the regular noodles that are all so nicely packaged because when you want only 1 oz from a 5 oz pack it is almost impossible to separate them. And there is no magic way that I know to separate them. I've tried knives and scissors. I gave up when I saw my father-in-law (previously the owner of a fantastic Chinese restaurant) instruct his daughter to cut a pack up with scissors. It was a very cruel form of torture and it led me to believe that there was no better way to divide up bean thread noodles. Then I discovered the cheap bags in the local Asian store. They are really a life saver if you can find them.
I poured boiling water over my noodles and left them to soak until they were soft. Once they are soft drain them really well by letting them sit in a strainer for 15 minutes or so.

Cut the carrots into sticks as thin as possible and about as long as the tofu sticks. Cover them and set aside. Peel and de-seed the cucumber and also cut into sticks. These can be a bit thicker than the carrots but should be around the same length. Cover and set aside.

Wash, dry and cut the leafy parts of the lettuce into thin strips. I used romaine lettuce to get a bit of crunch.

And wash the coriander and mint leaves. Remove the leaves from the stems and cut the mint leaves into very fine strips.

By now the tofu has cooled off. Take each matchstick and cut, using a very sharp knife, into 4 quarters lengthwise. Sprinkle the soya sauce over the tofu.

Now set everything up in an assembly line fashion. Get a large bowl of very warm water (but not boiling) to soak your wrappers in and you are ready to start.


Immerse a wrapper in the bowl of water and let it soak for 10 seconds. Take it out and lay it on the counter and wait until it is completely soft. While waiting you can soak the next wrapper. I seemed to be able to have two wrappers on my counter at any given time. Once the wrapper is soft you are finally ready to put everything together. It's so difficult to describe how to do this so here are some pictures to guide you. The photos are (obviously!) from left to right!

1. carrots, 2. cucumber, 3. tofu, 4. lettuce, 5. noodles, 6. coriander & mint
Now the big challenge... rolling up the roll. The good thing is that these things are very elastic and don't break very easily. If you are Sri Lankan, then roll it up just like a Chinese roll. If you have no idea what I am talking about it would be best to take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfI1wMeDXhg starting at around 21 seconds. Some people like their summer rolls flat, but I like mine round!


You can make your rolls in advance and keep them on the counter for a couple of hours. However, they will stick together. Thus you should line them up so they don't touch each other and cover each layer with cling wrap. Finally cover everything with cling wrap to keep them fresh and moist until you are ready to serve. If you are going to cut them in half you should do this just before serving.

Now no summer roll would be complete without a dipping sauce. My favourite is a peanut sauce. You can either buy it in a bottle in any Asian market or you can make it yourself. Just put all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and pulse until everything is combined. Alternatively mix with a fork.


Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)